Visiting the Clinic
We are located in the Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM), at 5758 S. Maryland Avenue, on the 3rd floor, Unit 3H. Tell the coordinator at the front desk that you’re checking in for the Ryan Center.
DO bring your photo ID and payment.
We need the payment at the time of your appointment, as we are unable to make payment plans. We accept cash, money, and credit cards. We do not accept personal checks.
DON’T bring babies or small children.
We don’t allow babies or small children in the clinic, so if you have children, you will have to make arrangements for their care while you are at your appointment.
DO be on time.
It can be difficult to find parking around the hospital, so if you’re driving, be sure you allow enough time for parking so you’re not late to the appointment. If you are more than 30 minutes late for your appointment, you will be rescheduled.
Adult Notification for Minors in Illinois
As of August 15, 2013, health care providers must notify an adult family member before providing an abortion to a young woman aged 17 and under. Learn more about this law, including some exceptions, here.
First Trimester Patient Information (under 14 weeks)
- Expect to be here approximately 4-6 hours for your appointment.
- You will have an ultrasound, consultation, birth control discussion, and procedure all in one day.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
Second Trimester Patient Information (14-21.5 weeks)
For in-clinic procedures (14-22 weeks)
- This is a two-day procedure.
- Expect to be here approximately 4-6 hours on both appointment days.
- Your first day consists of an ultrasound, consultation, birth control discussion, and cervical preparation for the following day.
- The procedure will be performed on the second-day appointment.
- You will be under IV medications for your procedure, so you will need someone to drive you. Your driver must bring you, wait for you to complete the procedure, and then take you home. Your driver CANNOT leave.
- Wear comfortable clothes both days.
- Payment is due on the first day.
For procedures in the operating room (up to 23.5 weeks)
- Procedures that are done in the operating room usually require 3 visits: 2 in the clinic, and one in the operating room.
- All instructions above apply, except that cervical preparation occurs on the 2nd visit, and the procedure is done in the operating room on the third day.
- You must have a ride (a driver other than yourself) only on the 3rd visit.
Medical v. Surgical Abortion
- Medical Abortion: This process takes place in the privacy of your own home. Medical abortion is available for pregnancies at nine (9) weeks gestation or less and requires two separate visits. The first visit includes ultrasound, counseling and obtaining medications that will cause the pregnancy to pass without surgery, much like having a miscarriage. The second visit is one to two weeks later for an ultrasound to ensure the process was successful.
- Surgical Abortion: This procedure is completed in a single visit for women who are less than 14 weeks pregnant. For women with pregnancies beyond 14 weeks gestation, two visits are required. The procedure itself normally takes about five to 15 minutes, but expect to spend approximately four to six hours in the clinic for ultrasound, counseling and recovery. While most procedures can be completed in the clinic, some may be performed in the operating room. Procedures that will be completed in the operating room may require two or three visits.
We accept most private insurances. Check with your local insurance company to see if the procedure is covered, or call our appointment desk at 773-834-9995.
National Abortion Fund
For 1st-2nd trimester procedures
Chicago Abortion Fund
For 2nd trimester procedures only